Yak sailing, LB, 30Nov11

Contributions, in sequence, from: jaro, pedro

Subject: Fishing Today Wednesday 30th November
From: "Jaro Cerny"
Date: 30/11/2011 3:12 PM

Participants: Pedro and Jaro
Weather: Overcast early with the odd light shower becoming clearer with sunny periods. Easterly winds 8-10 knots causing lumpy sea conditions.

I arrived at the car park at 4.00am and saw that Pedro had already left for JS. The tide was out and so there was a pronounced shore break right at end of MG. Even with good timing and staying upright I got wet which was good as it helped to keep me cool on the paddle out.

I made contact with Pedro who was at JS. I decided to head there as well as the seas were very lumpy making paddling too arduous for going to SR.

800 metres from my intended mark I had a large strike on my Halco laser pro but as I was extricating the rod from the rod holder the line went dead. On retrieval I found the lure gone, wire and all and the line shredded... work that out!

I joined up with Pedro who had found things very quiet. I ended up catching a 40cm sweet lip and Pedro a nice 45cm sweetlip after 3 hours of fishing so I called it a day and left at about 8.20am. Pedro decided to continue fishing and maybe he can fill us in on what was the outcome for the rest of his time out there.

Anyway, now the big news! Today I had my new Pacific Action kayak sail on board to try out and see if it would make paddling a little less arduous and tiring for us old buggers. I faced the kayak downwind and released the sail which had been clipped down and yes it went up and spread out exactly as described in the brochure. And I was off. Pedro immediately called and said it was looking very good and said he would have to look at getting one. And I was feeling very good and exhilarated. The sail back to the beach was an absolute breeze. I just sat back and paddled with short strokes requiring no effort so as to steer the kayak. With the pull exerted by the sail I was surfing the waves much better than when without the sail. The pull of the sail seemed to keep the kayak straight and stable when surfing the wave. I think having a rudder would make things even better but steering, using paddle strokes was very easy. I trolled my halco lure without difficulty. Pulling the sail down and reclipping it onto the yak for entry back into shore was a breeze. I travelled at between 3 and 10kms/hour averaging about 7km/hour. It took me about 35 minutes to get from JS to MG.

Jaro sailing. Pic by Kev 13Dec11

There were some nice breakers to negotiate but luckily my timing was good and I landed easily upright.

So all in all a disappointing day fish wise but a great day sail wise.

Jaro

From pedro
:::::::
Hi Jaro and Others,
Spent an hour after Jaro left trolling bait and hb for not even a sniff.
Always next time.
Pedro

No comments:

Post a Comment