Jew Shoal snapper, 25Oct11

Subject: Fishing Today 25/10/2011
From: "Jaro Cerny"
Date: 25/10/2011 4:20 PM

Participants: Mike, Peter and Jaro
Weather: Initially thin overall cloud cover changing to a sunny day. Wind none to speak of until we left JS to help us paddle in.

I arrived at the car park at 5.00am (little later than planned) to find Mike unloading his kayak. Pedro Peter had obviously arrived and gone earlier.

We were greeted with calm water except for good and frequent rollers breaking at the point. Luckily a new channel is forming again near the rocks which we utilized. Timing was of the essence which we did and got out with dry bums.

We headed for JS, arriving at 6.00am and finding Pedro there. He told us he had been there only a little earlier as he had also slept in.

Using banana prawns I was soon getting a lot of nuisance nibbles removing my bait. The others reported the same. Pedro then advised he had caught a keeper sweet lip that was quite small. I then caught an undersize sweet lip.

At about 7.00am I finally got a decent strike and soon had a keeper snapper on board. It was only 37 cm but as I had not been out for ages and Carolyn has been craving a fish meal, I kept it.

Mike left us close to 8.00am as he had to go to work... we commiserated with him. At 8.15am I had another good strike and boated another snapper, this one was 41cm.
The fish stopped biting after this and I pulled the pin at 9.45am and headed for home, Pedro electing to stay on.

Getting in was going to be a challenge. The tide was out and there was a pronounced shore break. I thought I had timed it well, catching a smallish wave and thinking I could ride it in. Big mistake! The water disappeared and my kayak nosed into the sand, rolling me embarrassingly into the water.

Anyway the water was refreshing. Shortly after Peter came in also (upright) as the wind had picked up and made things a little unpleasant.

It was great to be back on the water on such a beautiful day after such a long absence and at least Peter and I got good fresh fish meals out of it.

Jaro
Noosa Yakkers Coordinator
Viking Pro Fish 45
Call Sign Jaro
http://noosayakkers.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment