Fish aplenty, 16Dec10

Subject: fishing today -- 16dec10
From: sunshiner
Date: 16/12/2010 3:05 PM

Weather
Cloud cover: max 1/10 cloud
Wind direction & speed: NNW up to 10 knots
Sea state: low swell

Participants: Jaro, Doug, Ian, Pete, Geoff and I

At last the wind we'd endured for the last several weeks slackened today thus allowing us reasonably comfortable conditions to get out into the Bay. The 0430 launch time called by Jaro was beaten by Pete, Ian and Doug, all of whom were well on the water by the time I arrived in the carpark at about 04:20. There I found Jaro and Geoff finalising their setups and before long we were down at the water's edge to face the swell.

04:31. Geoff gazes out wondering if he'll make it out safely...

We three opted to head for Jew Shoal. I for one was happy with that mainly based on the possibility of an increasing NW wind which could be a pain for anyone south of Hells Gates and wanting to return to Main Beach. Shortly after launch we were in contact by radio with Doug (dougout) who had launched in the SE corner of Main Beach and was part way to Jew Shoal already.

The sea at Main Beach was quite murky today (freshwater runoff due to heavy rain), usually a sign that the fish action will be subdued or non-existent. But as we paddled northward several flocks of terns passed us on the way out so they weren't put off by the water colour, at least.

Heading for the western edge of the shoal, we soon came across isolated patches of surface action. Fluttering terns acted as top cover for the main assassins, mackerel tuna, which charged through the packed baitfish sending spray and baitfish up to one metre into the air. We all dragged lures through or close to such action a couple of times for no result and so plodded on, into the northerly wind and chop, intent on trying out Jew Shoal's underwater delights.

Jaro and Geoff headed for the northern side of the shoal, Doug trolled all over it and I focussed on the area which had been kind to me last Saturday -- close to The Pinnacles. The wind was much lighter than the last time I was here with the result that both drifting and trolling could be pursued in relative comfort. The sea, however was still quite murky but bait was present, as evidenced by occasional tuna bustups and also the frequent clusters identifiable on our fish finders.

By now we were in touch by radio with Ian (eyetag) who was trolling baits in the hope of a Spaniard, at Sunshine Reef, several km away. He'd had one bait taken but no hookup as yet. Pete (pedro) was also there and apparently had bagged a snapper already.

At Jew Shoal, Jaro started to report action from reef fish on pilchards and he was first on the board with a keeper sweetlip, and then another and another. Doug decided to head back in after a couple of fruitless laps of the shoal, Geoff was hanging with Jaro; I had opted to troll my Halco Laser Pro all over the previously identified hot spots which were now proving to be not so hot. This continued until around 07:45 by which time Geoff and I were still fishless and becoming a little frustrated. There were plenty of patches of baitfish on the sonar, still plenty of tuna feeding and at one stage an enormous single splash erupted near me so clearly predators were hanging about.

Time for a change of tactics -- give the soft plastics a go -- drift, cast, retrieve gently. Noting that the drift was from west to east I headed for a spot west of The Pinnacles and started my drift. The bait was an aged and pre-loved Squidgy Shad which was impaled on a 1/4oz (7gm) 3/0 jig hook. This is one of my favourite soft plastics mainly because they're cheap but also because they work. As I drifted I was watching the sonar (it's a bit like TV but much more interesting). A ribbon of clustered baitfish started to unroll on the screen as I drifted over it. Bump! Was that a take? Probably.. and then a powerful run as a fish absconded with the Squidgy. At last! At last! Then slack line. The bugger had somehow managed to self-release. But I had marked the spot on my GPS and so could return to it easily.

Having relayed by radio to my colleagues the fact that I'd dropped my only strike of the day I returned to the fray, paddling back past the new mark and setting up a new drift aiming to cross the newly-found hot spot. Again as I approached the mark, casting, letting the jig sink, watching the line, the slack suddenly disappeared and I was attached to another screamer. This time I did everything right by the Sunshiner SP Manual but still the hook pulled free. Bugger!

I checked the rig again -- everything was OK -- hook sharp etc. Back to the mark and 50m updrift beyond. Cast again, this time at least 40m updrift of the mark. Off went the SP again, the fish grabbing it in the first few seconds after the jig hit the water in around 19m. A long and strong run on the 6kg line gave me hope that this time the hook would hold. I was still connected after a minute or so -- a good sign of a firm hookup. The connection stayed sound and soon I could see a sizable snapper being led reluctantly to the kayak. A quick gaff shot and he was mine. Nice fish...

08:20. This snapper went 63cm on the mat later.

I could relax now. Pete by now had joined us at Jew Shoal and Ian had turned up also, just as I was dealing with my snapper.

08:48hrs. Ian and his boat today, as he paddled past me trolling for whatever. Mt Cooroy in the background.

While I continued drift fishing I took the opportunity to pack up quickly and take the camera over to any of my colleagues' hookups. Ian decided to chuck some slugs into a pack of feeding tuna and came up trumps -- twice -- too far away from me to respond. Pete was next with a snapper.

09:20. This snapper, same drift line, took a pilchard presented on Pete's deadly pilly rig. Note Pete's very pretty radio leash.

Then Geoff.

09:30. OK, it's not a huge snapper, but it was a keeper.

About now I opted to head for home -- I'd been on the water 5 hours and was feeling the pull of the beach. Besides the wind would surely increase, albeit from the north. Ian decided to accompany me and we set a trolling course to investigate fluttering terns to the west before turning south with the strengthening breeze. This left Jaro, Geoff and Pete to continue the harassment at JS. One thing of note as Ian and I paddled along was the presence of several larger tuna (I thought longtails) which individually and separately leapt clear of the water a couple of hundred metres in front of us.

Ian and I hit the beach only a minute or so apart at around 10:40am. Looking around, we espied a couple of possible fish holders so Ian bravely volunteered to charm them into this coveted role.

Two friendly frauleins having a lovely time in Australia. The one on the left was hungry.
Above: my snapper; Below Ian's tuna (70cm)


Jaro arrived off the beach and when the frauleins were invited to wait for Jaro's fish and give him a birthday hug they decided that they had to be going. If only they'd known what they'd missed out on.

Jaro's bag of sweetlip. The largest was 48cm.

So, we don't know how Pete and Geoff finished up, or Doug for that matter. Please let us know guys.
[Emails after main post signature]

Thanks for organizing, Jaro. Another fun day. Sorry you couldn't make it Hollywood.

Kev
Red & white Stealth Supalite, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner
http://www.noosayakkers.blogspot.com/

From Jag One
:::::::
Hi guys

I got back to the beach at midday, ending up with a sweetlip the size of Jaro's biggest one, plus two pan sized ones and the snapper in the pic.

I caught and released half a dozen well undersized sweeties and squire. I also C&R three cod which I think were juvenile black tipped rock cod, going by the distinctive red and pink vertical banding.The other oddball that didn't come aboard was probably a triggerfish, I thought I had a John Dory.

Anyway, a thoroughly enjoyable day with so many of us out there.

The drift speed of my yak is still a problem, so I might try Pete's suggestion and throw out another sea anchor.

See you on the water
Geoff Stolberg
call sign JaG One

From pedro (Pete)
:::::::
Hi All
I stayed out till the northerly kicked in, meeting up with geoff at his car.
End result was three snapper 56cm 54cm 47cm.
The pink bailing twine was a quick decision at 2.15am and I have plenty if anyone else wants some.

No comments:

Post a Comment