Maori cod, SR, 25Aug10

Subject: Fishing today -- 25aug10
From: Maverick
Date: 25/08/2010 7:44 PM

LeRoux and I were planning a river trip however a last minute change of mind and we decided to hit Sunshine Reef instead. Conditions were great, with a light WNW approx 3 knots. There was a small shore break to contend with but we made it out without getting wet. Once out we paddled over to the inner reef where there were a couple guys spear fishing, one guy put what seemed to be a big cod into the water when we approached them, the fish was not removed until we paddled off?!....

My first bait in the water and I hooked a small reefie, this was followed by all his brothers and sisters! My first keeper was a decent size flounder. LeRoux shouted that he had a big fish however turned out to be a mother in law fish (morwong) which was released. We noticed a lot of bird activity further out and decided to investigate. On route I was trolling a halco laser pro - green and orange. My reel began to scream and I had a big fish on end. Unfortunately on the second run I gave it a bit of slack and I lost it. I made it to the activity and saw a couple big tuna jumping, I cast a few slugs with no success. I paddled back to the inner reef where I continued bottom bashing.

I hooked onto a 51cm maori cod using small pillies. I then carried on drifting and hooked onto two snapper just under legal limit. My pillies were not even hitting the bottom before getting taken. I ran out of pillies at this time and LeRoux had paddled to NZ once again so I had to resort to soft plastics. Armed with my favorite graphite pole and 8lb line I dropped a nuclear chicken plastic and got smashed by a 56cm grassy sweetlip which was boated. Shortly after I was smashed again and boated a 50cm grassy sweetlip. The weather was turning a bit cold and wet so decided to call it a day. Steve Crisp met me on the beach and took the pics and even helped me take the yak back to my truck - thanks Steve. LeRoux advised me ja bit later that he had caught all the remaining brothers and sisters and even some cousins, but no keepers!

Stu

Maori cod, 51cm

Sweets

No comments:

Post a Comment