SR, snapper and surf, 03Nov09

From: "madcowes"
Subject: fishing today -- 03nov09
Date: Tuesday, 3 November 2009 5:03 PM

Well here we go again 5am launch conditions at MG.

I got up early but the fish didn't! Not a single touch by the time the rest of the group joined me - so much for an hour's head start.

The drift was very fast towards the SW with the current. Nothing of interest happened for what seemed like ages...

Until... Jim hooked up big time on his trailing pilchard rig and after a good tussle had a cobia right up to the side of the yak & lost it when the hook bent on the middle of a three ganged hook setup.
Quote from Harry "that's fishing for you". Probably not quite the words jimbo was thinking.

N.B. After becoming a cobia expert yesterday...
These fish are still pretty green when you get them to the yak the first time, so don't be too hasty to stick a gaff in them straight away, also be wary of a row of nasty thorn like spikes on the back near the head.

My small esky came into good use today as the drogue you use when don't have a drogue.

I'm actually going to pack a spare drogue in my hull now just in case one gets lost/forgotten.

Simon had boated a nice snapper, but the rest of us had very little action apart from a couple of small bite offs, probably mac tuna as I boated a small one a little later on. I was beginning to think that this
was going to be my first fishless trip for a while.

Doctor dog decided he'd had enough shortly after 9am & headed to JS and then home, a quick call around and the remaining yakkers decided we'd all pull the pin at 9:30.

BUT... then harry hooks up to a good snapper.

THEN... I caught what I initially thought was a sweetlip but later turned out to be a spangled emperor of just over 40cm.
IMPORTANT NOTE: the size limit on the spangled emperor is 45cm see below

THEN harry gets another snapper,
THEN jim got on board too,
AND I was just packing up and as usual my trailing rod with SP got snaffled by a nice snapper, as I just announced this fact to Harry, and told him that I was heading home.

HIS rod went off and he scored his third fish of the day!

We all decided enough was enough and started the slow trip home into the current & headwind, by the time I arrived at the shark nets I had paddled 22 kms and was completely knackered.

How to land at Middle Groyne






... And how not to


Simon, Hollywood, jimbo & whalebait - missing Dr Dog - who wasn't talking to us by this stage ;)

Harrys' PB yak snapper 63cm, 50cm & 45cm.

Simon's 48cm & Jim's 43cm snapper.

And finally my 50cm snapper & (mistakenly undersize) 41cm spangled emperor

This coming Thursday night first of the month get together has been pushed back a week to the following Thurs - details forthcoming.

Thanks for coming guys another successful trip after a slow start.

It looks like Kevin has done his wind/swell dance as conditions look very ordinary for the next week while he is away - hmm?

Cheers - Brian/whalebait

No comments:

Post a Comment