Harvey's snapper, 04Aug08

From: "kevin long"
Subject: fishing today -- 04aug08 -- Harvey joins the club
Date: Monday, 4 August 2008 3:09 PM

Hi guys

It was Harvey's day today. For 18 months he's been under training to be a fair dinkum fisho and today he graduated, although there are some fine points still to be inculcated.

Jim, Harv and I were greeted at 7am with a flat sea, similar to yesterday, when my son Nick and I went out and came home fishless, but what a magnificent day it was! Today we launched without even getting water into the Espri foot wells. Harv and Jim headed for the shoal while I decided to travel to the shoal by a slightly different route to see if I could find some new patches of reef with my new Cuda 242 sonar. As a result I arrived at the shoal some 30-45 min after the other guys, but my deviation had proven interesting as I found a couple of bits of possible new reef but didn't bother trying them out. And no, I'm not going to tell you where they are.

As yesterday, things were dead quiet at JS, with even the little reefies not showing up in the catch. At around 0830 I looked over to Harv, about 200m away, and could see that his yak was pointing into the wind and that there was a solid bend in his rod. I guessed that he might have a fish but it could also be the bottom so turned away to concentrate on trying to catch one for myself -- for other than a couple of grinners trolled up earlier on, I was fishless, as was Jim.

A few minutes later I spied Harvey paddling toward me. As he got closer he called out that he needed my help -- to extract the hook from an "enormous snapper" (his words) that he'd boated. Harvey's description was a little exaggerated, but nevertheless it was a nice snapper, the best of this season so far among our small bunch of yakkers. Here it is:


Congratulations Harv. Please tell us what it measured.

Jim and Harv left for home around 1015, leaving me fishless and frustrated, but determined to try a few other spots before my self imposed deadline of 1100. By 1045 I was still fishless but a few minutes later I felt the magic little "tap" on the line that was connected to my 1/8 ounce jighead and soft plastic. I took up the slack and was pleased to feel resistance to my strike and then the fish surged away with the characteristic bumping run of a snapper. A couple of minutes later he was mine. Here he is:


Although smaller than Harvey's he (44cm) was welcome nevertheless, and with that I headed for home. Another pic, taken after beach landing. Aren't they magnificent fish!


Yum, Yum

Plenty of good weather coming up, guys. Time to dust off those snapper outfits.

Kev
Red & Yellow Espri, black paddle
VHF channel 09 or 22 (if alone), Call Sign: sunshiner

No comments:

Post a Comment